Friday, January 17, 2014

Trust or Bust

Trust. What a loaded word. A dictionary defines it as: 'firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability or strength of someone or something'....'acceptance of the truth of a statement without evidence or investigation'. We've all been there, haven't we? Trusting someone and then getting burned. I know I have, and it leaves me with second guessing people, a lot. I mean, take a look at the definition...reliable, truthful, acceptance without evidence or investigation. Who can honestly, 100% of the time,  live up to these sorts of ideals? No one of this earth, I am confident in that. Now, before you write me off as a disgruntled woman with trust issues, rest assured I am not. That's not what this is about.....trust me?  :)

Proverbs 3:5 tells us to 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding'. We are biblically instructed to trust God. If you are anything like me, you  have heard these verses time and time again, really believing them and relying on them in times of tribulation. We even sound them off to a friend who may be dealing with some big questions of their own. We say, 'You're right, it's in God's hands' and move on. BUT (I mean that's a big BUT) do we have a firm belief; are we accepting of this, with all our heart, without evidence or investigation? So, our challenge as women of God, wives, mothers, friends, daughters, sisters, etc. is to be filled to the measure with the fullness of God (Eph. 3:19), to stand firm in His truth and His awesome ability and strength. He. Is. RELIABLE.

Oh, do I wrestle with this. By the grace of God, I am blessed way beyond an ounce of what I truly deserve. And even though I know this, sometimes  falling to my knees in glorious thanksgiving, I struggle with Proverbs 3:5. Should I go back to work? Do I make my husband happy? Am I a good mom and teaching my daughter everything she needs to know? Honestly, the internal debates we have as women are as exhausting and scary as a triathlon after childbirth. Yikes. SO my challenge to myself and everyone else who is worn to a frazzle, is to get lost in the following scripture. Sip them like a really robust, hot cup of coffee. I really do love my java. Say them out loud in sweet prayer, commit them to your memory and celebrate them when you need a good swig of His incredible truth.


'Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all He has done.' Philippians 4:6

'The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.' Exodus 14:14

'Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this.' Psalm 37:4-5

'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your wears submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.' Proverbs 3:5-6

' I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.' Philippians 4:13


Trust or bust, baby.

Grace and Blessings,
k

No comments:

Post a Comment